Health News
Published: Apr 30, 2012
Rodenticide Poisons Veterinary Staff
by Staff

Staff in four U.S. veterinary hospitals who treated dogs that ingested the rodenticide zinc phosphide were poisoned, but all have recovered, officials say.

Officials of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said zinc phosphide is a readily available rodenticide that, on contact with stomach acid and water, produces phosphine, a highly toxic gas. Pets that ingest zinc phosphide often will regurgitate, releasing phosphine into the air.

"Among the four hospital workers, eight poisoning victims were identified, all of whom experienced transient symptoms related to phosphine inhalation. All four dogs recovered fully," a CDC report said.

"Exposure of veterinary staff members to phosphine can be minimized by following phosphine product precautions developed by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Exposure of pets, pet owners, and veterinary staff members to phosphine can be minimized by proper storage, handling and use of zinc phosphide and by using alternative methods for gopher and mole control, such as snap traps."

In humans, inhalation of high concentrations of phosphine can be fatal because phosphine inhibits oxidative phosphorylation and causes lipid peroxidation damage to cells and tissues, the CDC said.

However, for non-fatal inhalation of phosphine, symptoms usually resolve within 30 days and rarely cause any long-term disabilities, the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report said. (c) UPI

Most Recent Published Articles

© Copyright 2004-2012 by Post Chronicle Corp.
Top of Page is best viewed with an 1024x768 screen resolution

tumblr stats

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of The Post Chronicle™. Since we offer our product free of charge, we run banner advertising in order to cover the operating costs of delivering the material. Read More Here  DMCA Policy Here  Privacy Policy Here